How to reset the fake “out of toner message” and instantly make the printer work again:
1. Open the top lid of the printer and leave it open.
2. Press and hold the “Secure” and “X Cancel” buttons at the same time.
3. Use the arrow keys to select the cartridge model you would like to reset and press “OK”.
4. Press the UP arrow to reset the cartridge.
Once reset is selected you will see “ACCEPTED” on the screen.
Reset them all by scrolling through the various colors on the menu.
5. Close the top lid. It will make a bunch of noise for a minute or so, then it will print like new again.
Now the printer thinks you installed brand new toner cartridges, and you will get double or more the amount of printed pages from the same old “out” toner. When you notice the quality of the printouts degrading, THEN its time to replace the toner. Not before. While you are waiting for your new toner to arrive, take the old one out and shake it- prints will look new again for a short period of time. Buy toner when you are out, not when the machine tries to tell you what to do.